Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lions and Tigers and... Kidney Stones???

This morning we took Jamie to the ER around 4:00 a.m. Apparently he had been up since 2:00, but he woke me up around 3:30 complaining of a pain in is his back that wrapped around to his chest, but also down his groin and leg. When he woke me up, all he said was, "Something is wrong..." and then was in so much pain he couldn't speak. I didn't know if it was Sean or Jamie that something was wrong with, but my stomach hit the floor. Tears were pouring down his face from the intense pain. I wasn't sure if it was a heart attack or kidney stones, so we decided a trip to the ER would be best. I have NEVER seen him in so much pain before - scared the HELL out of me.

Once we got checked in, they said that it was probably kidney stones as he was doing the "kidney stone dance". They were able to give him some pain medication through an IV, so it hit him quick and helped him relax quite a bit. It was the first time he was able to stop pacing and rest his body. He was still feeling the pain, just didn't care quite as much! He was able to finally give a urine sample which did have blood in it, so they took him for a CAT scan. Those results did show stones in his kidneys and one that was "moving" its way down. It is 3.3 millimeters, which according to the doctor, "is small for a kidney stone but doesn't hurt any less." But, it is small enough to let it pass on it's own rather than having it surgically removed.

Once the pain meds kicked in a little and I knew he wasn't having a heart attack, I did tell him if he ever wakes me up to tell me something is wrong, he has to specify who and what before he stops talking!!!!

We were released and home by about 6:30 this morning with nausea medication, pain medication, Flomax (a prostate drug that is supposed to help it pass), and a strainer to help catch the stone when it passes. When I left home to take Sean to daycare, the pain meds had kicked in again and he was getting a little relief - hopefully he can get some rest and pass this thing soon. He is super upset that this is happening before Sean's surgery tomorrow (we have to be there at 6:15 a.m.). He does not want to miss being there (for his own sanity), and honestly, I need him there too.

We appreciate your prayers for Jamie (and Sean tomorrow)... while you are praying, please add Nick to your list. He's home with strep throat and has been for a couple of days, and just isn't feeling better. Apparently they had a rough night last night too.

A BIG thank you to Dad for coming over to be with Sean while we were at the hospital. I know it was early, but we appreciate it VERY much!


Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian said...

Poor Jamie!!!! We'll be praying for ya all and thinking of Sean and his surgery tomorrow! Let me know if I can do anything to help you out.