Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sean surgery update

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers for Sean (and us) yesterday. The surgery was a success and Sean did AMAZING! I was worried about so many things for nothing, but I know it is thanks to prayers from friends and family.

For those of you who don't know, Jamie WAS able to be there with us for the surgery, and for that I am so grateful. His kidney stones are slowly breaking up, and he is passing them in very small pieces, but passing them none the less!

Yesterday, we woke Sean up and headed to the hospital around 6:00. A quick check in and then we headed to his "room" and sat and waited for our turn. There was a TV in his room, and thankfully they had the Disney channel, so a BIG thank you to Mickey! :-) He was a wonderful distraction. The only thing he wanted no part in (at this point) was the ankle bracelet (id). I don't blame him - they are not very comfortable.

They came and got him around 7:40 (he was the second surgery of the day). He didn't even cry when they took him - Mommy sure did. Thankfully, Grandpa and Grandma, Aunt Elaine, Grandpa Jay and Mindy were there. We were so thankful and blessed to have them there for support. It really meant more to us than we could ever show. They said the surgery would take anywhere from 20 - 45 minutes. About 40 minutes later, the doctor came in. He said that Sean did excellent and that he would be brought to us soon. Again, here came the water works for Mommy. We were so thankful and relieved that it was over. I started getting so anxious just to hold him again. If anyone in Champaign ever needs an ENT, you HAVE to see Dr. Lipps. He truly is the best! We are so grateful to him for taking such good care of our baby.

The nurse brought him back about 10 minutes later and said Sean didn't cry at all through the whole thing (not even in recovery)... until they took the sticky pads off his back (where they monitor the heart, oxygen, etc.). I think once he began crying, it hurt his throat and he just couldn't get calmed down. Plus, he really wanted the IV removed (he was doing he best to take it out himself). We finally got the nurse to take it out, got him his dose of medicine, and then he was able to calm down (that all took about a half an hour). Believe it or not, he really hasn't cried since.

We were able to leave the hospital about 30 minutes later. We made a stop at Mc Donald's on the way home. The doctor said he really needed to get something in his belly so that the Tylenol with codeine didn't make him sick. I was sure this was going to be a battle, but boy was I wrong. He ate two McGriddles, and then ate the two off of Jamie's McGriddle sandwich. Yes, that would be FOUR total. He didn't eat much else yesterday (a few powdered donuts), and today he's had some peas, half a banana, and yes, more powdered donuts, but that is great!!! Believe it or not, he slept through the night and took good naps yesterday and today.

Today we've just been lazy (reading a lot of books, watching a lot of TV, and just hanging out). Grandpa and Grandma came to visit last night and today, and last night Aunt Elaine brought us some movies to watch this week (courtesy of Nick and Kyle of course). :-)

We've had a few little surprises today. Grandpa and Grandma brought Sean these beautiful flowers (Sean loves the hearts on them), popsicles, a new really cool book and a card with a teddy bear on it:

Aunt Wendy and Uncle Wade sent Sean these AWESOME balloons and teddy bear (these were the highlight of his day! THANK YOU!!!!):

Grandpa Jay and Mindy gave him this darling puppy and balloon yesterday at the hospital:

Grandma Becky sent a cute get well card with $$$ for ice cream! Thank you to everyone for the generous gifts - they really are great!

Today we're keeping on top of the pain medicine, but we are truly amazed at how well our little super hero is doing. He is so strong, so brave and the most amazing little trooper I know! Tomorrow is day three, which they say is the worst. But judging by my sweet little boy, I think we'll fair through this whole experience just fine. Whew, Mommy can finally breathe!!!!

Again, thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. We couldn't have done this without you all!!!