Monday, May 2, 2011

What a month

Wow... it's been awhile since I've posted, and man is there a lot to catch up on! I think most of you who read my blog know everything that has happened in the last few weeks, but just in case, here we go!

On April 13th, I was scheduled for an outpatient procedure called an Endometrial Ablation. This was to help with some issues I've been having since Nathan's birth. Once I got to the hospital, I also found out I was going to have a D&C (guess that's why you should actually read the releases you sign... I might have noticed that! Ha!) Regardless, I was already going to be under, so it was no biggie. Everything went great with the procedures and I was home that evening. Thursday morning I woke up feeling a little crampy, but doing well. Thursday evening, however, something changed. The only way I can describe it is it felt like I was in labor. MAJOR contraction pain... and let me tell you, it's not fun when you are not going to get a sweet little baby out of it! :-)

I woke up Friday feeling much better, but very sore (like when you do too many sit-ups the day before - so I've heard :-) ). Friday afternoon came, and again, something changed. The contraction-like feelings were back and so was the pain. My dear friend Ashley was kind enough to take me to the ER as Jamie was working in a muddy ditch and couldn't get away at that moment. Once Jamie was able to get to the hospital, Ashley generously took the kids home (and took AMAZING care of them) so that Jamie could stay with me. After running some tests, they determined that I had an infection in my uterus. Once they got the pain under control, they sent me home with what seemed like an entire pharmacy full of prescriptions!

Saturday, well, I just don't remember. Not at all, which is really bizarre. Kind of the same with Sunday, but I do remember the pain increasing and moving further up into my abdomen. Back to the ER we went... they were so busy that day that I was in the hallway of the ER on a bed for two hours before finally getting into a room. Several more tests later, they determined that the infection had spread into my ovaries (and even found a touch of pneumonia in my lungs). If they couldn't get it under control, they were going to have to do a hysterectomy.

I was admitted to the hospital on Sunday, and the rest is kind of a blur. I remember bits and pieces, but Jamie will tell me a story or something that happened during that time, and I just don't remember! The good news here is thanks to IV antibiotics, I was improving. Fast forward to Wednesday when I was released... when the doctor came in, I really thought that she would tell me to take the rest of the week off, but that I should be good to return to work on that Monday. WRONG! She said that it was going to take awhile for me to recover and she wasn't releasing me until May 2. MAY 2???? I was floored. Two weeks?

I really do understand why she said that though - it WAS a long recovery and I didn't start to feel like myself until about last Wednesday. I am now back to work, feeling SO much better (just get tired easily) and happy to be back into a routine. Today is my last day of ALL medicines too! I'm thrilled about that!!!

Jamie has been a saint through this whole thing. I mean, truly AMAZING. I don't know how I got so lucky to have such a wonderful, supportive husband, but I'm so thankful that I do! He really had to take care of everything the last few weeks - me, the kids, the house, and work full time! We also had a lot of help and support from our family (real family and church family) and friends - especially my parents, my sister and Ashley. I was truly humbled by the outpouring of love and support!

So that's about it in a very long nutshell! Enough about me though... it's time to talk about my TWO YEAR OLD!!! Stay tuned...


Kayla said...

Oh my goodness. What an ordeal! I'm so glad you're better now and that you had wonderful friends and family to help you.